Informative & Fun SHiNA Gatherings plus Elections
Upcoming Southwest Hills Neighborhood Association General Membership Meetings:
* Sunday, October 7th, 2:00-4:00pm
at Good Samaritan, 3500 Hilyard Street
– Picnic Feedback
– Election’s Slate
– Frank Lawson, EWEB General Manager will speak about the state of the utility, and discuss topics and projects EWEB is working on: Emergency Water Sites, Smart Meter Deployment, Cyber Security, Affordability & Climate Change.
– Alex Rahmlow, Fire Planning Coordinator, Western Lane District, OR Dept of Forestry will speak: Let’s be Firewise, to increase the chance of surviving a wildfire event for our homes & community.
* The SHiNA Board Seeks New Members:
The Southwest Hills Neighborhood Association (SHiNA) is seeking new members to join our volunteer board this fall to keep our neighborhood well-represented within the City. At-large board positions and SHiNA officers are up for election or re-election. Candidates will be put forward for ratification at the October General Membership Meeting. Elections will take place at the Annual November General Membership Meeting.
The SHiNA board advocates on behalf of 3,689 neighborhood addresses and households. We work on housing, land use, traffic and wildlife issues, sustainability, park improvements, etc. We notify neighbors about proposed neighborhood development, city initiatives, policies and projects. We also convey our neighborhood needs to the City.
Please consider joining the SHiNA Board. We would like your input and assistance in forming the neighborhood area teams for our Emergency Preparedness efforts. A neighborhood association is an excellent way to partner with other neighbors, the City, and other organizations to develop solutions to shared problems. SHiNA is one of 23 neighborhood associations and is formally recognized by the City of Eugene.
The SHiNA Board has up to 10 members and meets every other month. There are also four informative General Meetings and an Annual Picnic with live entertainment, a fundraiser, the potluck picnic, a kid’s art table and community information tables. The term of service is one year with no term limits. Email the SHiNA Board if you would like more information about serving on the board: firstname.lastname@example.org
* Sunday, November 4th, 2:00-4:00pm
at Wayne Morse Family Farm, 595 Crest Drive
– SHiNA Board Elections
– Pacific Northwest Mushroom & Toadstool slideshow presentation
from former LCC mycology instructor Ralph McDonald. Oregon is home to hundreds of species of edible mushrooms, several psychoactive species and to four dangerously poisonous species. Bring your mushroom questions and samples that you’d like identified.